What skill do you want to learn in 2017?
For those who wish to participate, to read & discuss as a group, please read chapter 3.
The story of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is very difficult to describe. Usually, we give some clues about the book on the cover, but in this case, we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about. If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn’t a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence. We hope you never have to cross such a fence.
You can watch the full movie with English subtitles online here.
After you have read this chapter, please answer the following questions;
- Do you think that Bruno and his sister Gretel have a normal relationship or one that is made more difficult by the times in which they live?
- How does Gretel feel about the new house?
- Why does Gretel hesitate before looking out of Bruno’s window?
- Why is Gretel surprised when she looks out the window?
- How and why does the writer build mystery and suspense in the story?
Please reply and share at least one question, at least three vocabulary words/phrases, and your favourite sentence or paragraph from Chapter 3.
NOTE: This book group event is listed here at GMT+2 hours (Egypt time).
To join the class, please be sure I have you on my Skype contact list PRIOR to class.
My Skype ID is: Roaming70
Here is a link to our Skype group’s chat.
Please leave a comment and ask questions related to The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne from chapter 3. Also, share and follow us on social sites below.